Monday, October 4, 2010

The Blues

This past week found me chasing my Montana nemesis, the forest grouse, this time in the Judith Mountains of south-central Montana.  Beautiful country, and quite a change from my normal flatland haunts.  A fact not unnoticed by my legs, nor my lungs.  The air gets noticeably thinner when you start getting over 7000'.


Some great country in this part of Montana.  I heard some bugling elk one morning, and saw a big black bear one afternoon as he ran out of a small piece of cover I had just hunted through.



 

And finally, after several years of trying, my first mountain grouse, a nice big blue grouse, taken over a point by Bull.


I believe this is the 11th species of upland bird I have taken over Bull in his career.  In fact, the next day he made a nice point on what would have made an even dozen when he found some ruffed grouse, but they eluded my shooting.  Which leaves something to look forward to next season...

2 comments:

Gary Thompson said...

Holy cow, that's awesome! You're racking up the species. Blue Grouse hunting is one of my most favorite things to do, primarily due to the country it takes you to. Getting an opportunity to find a Rough Grouse while whacking some Blues on the same hunt.... man, I'm coming to Montana!

Shawn K. Wayment, DVM said...

Sweet!